This Chicken Enchiladas recipe is the best. You will love this healthy twist on another favorite comfort food recipe.
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min Prep: 1 hr 0 min Cook:15 min
Yield: 16 enchiladas, 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 canned chipotle chiles, seeded and minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 16 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce, canned
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar and Jack cheeses
Coat large saute pan with oil. Season chicken with herbermare. Brown chicken over medium heat, allow 7 minutes each side or until no longer pink. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, garlic powder and chili powder before turning. Remove chicken to a platter, allow to cool.
Saute onion, garlic and green bell pepper in chicken drippings until tender. Add corn and stir well to combine. Add canned tomatoes, saute 1 minute.
Pull chicken breasts apart by hand into shredded strips. Add shredded chicken to saute pan, combine with vegetables. Dust the mixture with flour to help set.
Coat the bottom of pan with a ladle of enchilada sauce. Using a large shallow bowl, dip each tortilla in enchilada sauce to lightly coat. Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture in each tortilla. Fold over filling, place 8 enchiladas in each pan with seam side down. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven until cheese melts.